If a roll call is made on Nigerians who love swallow, we are certain its going to be a long one. Nigerian men especially don’t joke with their swallow and could give their spouses attitude if she doesn’t make it at least 6 times a week. In fact, if you leave some of them, they won’t mind having it everyday.
We all know a good swallow has to go with a good soup and today’s focus is waterleaf soup. Waterleaf has to be one of the most delicious soup that will ever grace the dinning table of Nigerian families. Apart from being so delicious, its highly nutritious too.
What you need
- 5 medium pieces of beef
- 4 pieces of shaki (beef tripe)
- 1 small bunch of waterleaf
- One handful of washed bitter leaves
- 1/2 cup of crayfish pieces
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (chopped)
- Seasoning cubes
- 1 tablespoon of crayfish powder
- 1.5 cooking spoons of palm oil
Season and boil your beef and shaki and anyone other protein you may wish to add.
Once the water starts to reduce significantly, add the crayfish powder, chopped pepper, crayfish pieces and seasoning cubes (if there’s need) and reduce the heat.
Wash and shred the waterleaves thinly. Shred the bitter leaf as well.
Allow the water in the pot of the beef reduce drastically then add the oil and immediately add the bitter leaf and water leaf and stir. Take off the heat immediately and allow the vegetables cook itself in the warm pot without being on the fire so you don’t lose the nutrients from the vegetables
And there you go, your waterleaaf soup is ready to mingle with your favourite swallow.
What waterleaf does to your health
– These leaves are high in fibre.
-They contain anti-oxidants.
-Waterleaves are rich in Vitamin C which helps boost your immune system.
– They are a great source of Iodine that helps prevent goitre.
– It provides a great source of Iron which is good for anaemic people.
510 total views, 0 views today